[CPTSC] Please nominate someone for the Ken Rainey Award for Excellence in Research, Due Nov. 2nd
angela.eaton at ttu.edu
Mon Oct 13 15:39:03 CDT 2008
You can nominate someone for the Society for Technical Communication’s Ken Rainey Award for Excellence in Research with a simple email. Please email Lloyd Tucker, Lloyd.tucker at stc.org, by November 2nd, with the name of your nominee.
This award honors the career of Ken Rainey, a Professor at Southern Polytechnic State University and an STC Fellow, by rewarding research that has made positive, significant contributions to technical communication practice and teaching.
One award will be given each year to an STC member who has made a positive difference to practice or teaching in the field of technical communication from conducting a lifetime of quality research in the field or from completing a single high-quality empirical study or a set of related high-quality studies (longevity in the field is not a criterion for the second qualification). Specifically, the researcher must have accomplished the following:
• Identified one or more problems of clear and compelling relevance to practitioners and/or academics.
• Developed a quality research design, including an appropriate match between methods and the focus and purpose of the inquiry.
• Relied upon sound methods for data collection and data analysis.
• Applied appropriate measures to ensure ethical protection of the study’s participants.
• Reported results in ways that have influenced or have promise to influence practice, theory, or teaching in the field.
• Demonstrated positive impact on the field.
Nominees must be a current member of the STC for one year prior to nomination. STC members are eligible regardless of other STC honors or awards previously received. Current members of the Ken Rainey Award for Excellence in Research Committee, STC Research Grants Committee, and STC elected board are not eligible to be nominated for this award. This award will not be given twice to the same person. (The committee will double-check these lists before requesting a nominee for a packet, if you aren’t sure).
After receiving nominations, the Awards committee will invite the nominees to turn in an application packet of a current CV, three to five letters of recommendation, and supporting materials. Full details at http://www.stc.org/recog/awards01_kenRainey.asp
We hope you will nominate someone!
Ken Rainey Award for Excellence in Research Award Committee
Angela Eaton, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of
Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, TX 79409-3091
Office: 806-742-2500 x229
angela.eaton at ttu.edu
More information about the CPTSC